Friday, December 19, 2008

What Do I Want To Be Known For

Those extra snow days in December gave me some time to read and reflect on my position as instructional coach at West Salem HS and thus, my most important concern - how I can support you, my fellow teachers. In order to achieve that, I must know more of what you want to attain.

The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain.
Kahlil Gibran

I came across an article entitled Self-Fulfilling Prophecies: Recommending Yourself by Suzy Kaback. (http://www.choiceliteracy.com/public/78/print.cfm.) (Dec. 2008) She spoke of having her elementary school students goal set by writing down their "expertise" as writers. She noted that they often confused areas in which they hoped to be experts with their actual strengths. She later carried this observation forward by having a student teacher write her own letter of recommendation to show what she hoped would be on the letter her supervising teacher would later write for her.

What a good idea! For the new year, what if we teachers were to write our own letters of recommendation and include our strengths as well as what we would like to be known for. It would be a great goal setting technique. It would give you a clearer glimpse of my role and what I "want to be known for." It would give me a clearer glimpse of your aspirations and the specific areas in which I could give you support.

Here are some prompts that Suzy adapted from the assignment for her 5th graders to meet the needs of her student teacher:

My biggest strengths are . . .
If asked, I want my students to say this about me . . .
If asked, I want my supervising principal to say this about me . . .
My goal is to . . .
When my instructional coach is visiting, I hope she notices . . .
I want to be known for . . .
As a teacher, I aspire to be . . .
I will contribute to the school community in these ways . . .

By googling "letters of recommendation," high aspirations of teachers are apparent, for example: www.letters-of-recommendation.org/2-letters-of-recommendation-for-teachers.htm

Note a few new faces in the Titan Gallery to the right. Have a Happy and Safe Holiday.

No comments: